R. Kymn Harp at Robbins DiMonte, Ltd.
R. Kymn Harp is a member of RD’s Executive Committee and has years of service as Chair of the firm’s Business and Real Estate Transactions practice group.
Kymn has over 40 years of experience representing investors, developers, business owners, and other stakeholders is all aspects of commercial real estate transactions and development. He applies a practical approach to project and transaction management by focusing on clear identification of transaction objectives and challenges, development and implementation of a comprehensive transaction plan to overcome transaction obstacles through focused due diligence and creative problem-solving, and personal hands-on transaction management. Kymn understands that the objective is not merely to get to closing – but to enable clients to realize their transaction objectives after closing.
Kymn has comprehensive experience negotiating and drafting development agreements including public-private partnerships, air-rights development agreements, limited liability company (LLC) agreements, private-placement memoranda (PPMs) for real estate investment, IRC Section 1031 tax-deferred exchanges, tenant-in-common (TIC) agreements, reciprocal easement agreements, commercial and industrial leases, forbearance agreements, and other essential agreements for development and operation of commercial real estate.
Utilizing a team approach, Kymn works with RD’s construction attorneys, tax attorneys, and others as appropriate to assure full-service solutions to each client’s unique and sometimes intricate transaction challenges. Kymn is an experienced testifying expert witness in real estate disputes and often assists commercial litigators handling commercial real estate litigation. Additionally, Kymn has extensive experience handling distressed loan workouts involving commercial real estate collateral, and investor-side commercial, industrial, multi-family, and mixed-use condominium deconversions.
Widely recognized as an industry thought-leader, Kymn is a frequent author and speaker for the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) and the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA. He has published numerous articles and white papers on real estate topics, many of which can be found at his blog, Harp-OnThis.com, and two books on commercial real estate including Illinois Commercial Real Estate – Due Diligence to Closing, with Checklists, 2016 edition. Kymn currently serves as an appointed member of the Illinois State Bar Association Real Estate Law Section Council.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate
- UIC (JMLS) Law School, J.D., 1978
- Wabash College, B.A. 1975
- Illinois, 1978
- Indiana, 1986
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) Real Estate Law Section Council
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Managing Partners Roundtable
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- State Bar of New Mexico
- Presenter for Chicago Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection on September 1
- MITIGATION OF DAMAGES IN IL COMMERCIAL LEASE DISPUTES
- IMPOSSIBLE, IMPRACTICAL, FRUSTRATING, OR SIMPLY UNFORTUNATE: Enforcing Illinois Commercial Leases in the COVID Age*
- Robbins DiMonte – Power in Collaboration
- 2021 Chicagoland Repositioning Summit
- COOL PROJECTS – A Love Affair Revisited
- SECTION 1031 EXCHANGE BASICS – Planning for 2021
- COVID LEASE WORKOUTS
- BEYOND THE PANDEMIC – Opportunity Awaits
- IL CONDOMINIUM DECONVERSION – Section 15 Sales – White Paper No. 3